Monday 3 March 2014

Top 3 Saddest Manga Character Deaths

Hey Mina-san!

If you didn't know, Minna-san means everyone and I will make sure to add it to the upcoming glossary of Japanese words what you might encounter in this freshly made blog. 

Leaving that apart, I will now get down to business: here is a list of my top 3 saddest manga deaths, in which a character heroically dies and leaves the stage. Some of these deaths are actually really sad and one of them was so unexpected that it almost brought me to tears! Can you believe it! This is just another example of how well plotted and written can Manga be, so if you are not a reader as passionate as I am, you should at least give it a try!

3.  Goku (Dragon Ball)

Goku sacrifices to kill Raditz.

I'm certain that most of you have heard of Dragon Ball and of Goku (If not check the Manga here). In this action packed Manga and also in the Anime, Goku dies in a fight against his brother, Raditz. I have to say that Dragon Ball was a fantastic Manga which really caught the reader in the heat of the battle and I dare say, is almost a legend now, but that isn't the reason why I chose in this meticulously planned Top 3.

Goku's death was meaningful. He sacrificed himself to kill Raditz, which turns out to be his brother, in chapter 204 "The Needs of the Many." He died like a hero, putting the welfare of other people before his own. He deserves 3rd place for sure! R.I.P Goku T_T


2. Kazuma Saji (Eden No Ori)


Saji's last words Eden No Ori chapter 82.
Eden No Ori is probably not as known as Dragon Ball and other Manga giants such as Naruto, Bleach and One Piece but this doesn't mean that it's not as good. I seriously loved this Manga and I recommend you to read it! Now! (You can read it here

Kazuma Saji is one of the main characters which we meet in the early chapters and dies in chapter 82 "Long Good-by." His death was one of the saddest Manga character deaths ever. Saji died after he saved the girl he loved and when love between them was just about to bloom. After rescuing the girl Saji fell for, everyone decides to escape from the forest and  the characters all march in a straight line and Saji offers to close the line. A few chapters earlier, Saji hits a tree and the sharp branches stab him. Like Goku, Saji dies as a hero without anyone knowing and decided not to tell the group that he is wounded because he doesn't want see the girl he loves cry. Definitely deserves the 2nd place in this Top 3.


1. Whitebeard (One Piece)

Whitebeard's death in One Piece chapter 576.

Ranked first we have Edward Newgate, in other words Whitebeard, who dies in chapter 576 "The Great Pirate, Edward Newgate" of One Piece. Now, you must be thinking "Wait! He is not even a main character!" Well, allow me to explain.

First of all, Whitebeard is just a total badman, badass character or whatever you wish to call him. I mean, Whitebeard endured 267 blade wounds, 152 bullets and withstood 46 cannonballs, respect! I challenge you to find a character equally strong in life and in death, I mean it!  The second reason is because he died standing and there were no wounds of cowardice in his back, which means that he died by fighting it all out fair and square, like a hero should die. 

Edward Newgate is a character which I will talk to my children about and I would a like a moment of silence for this great hero's death. This is definitely the saddest Manga character death to me.


My Top 3 Saddest Manga Character Deaths ends here, if you have any other character deaths which really struck you make sure to share it in the comments! 

Arigatou Gozaimasu!

3 comments:

  1. Jiraya, Portgas D. Ace, Lelouch,......

    ReplyDelete
  2. cirque du freak mr crepsley, its great manga based on book , and his death sadly broke my heart and down to tears when i saw him die , it still hurts me till this day and makes me sad still thinking about it

    ReplyDelete